Sunday 20 January 2013

140% gain in a day... just the tip of the iceberg?

It's not often that one of your investments makes a 140% gain in a day, but that's exactly what happened to my holding in a company called Angle this week. In an earlier blog I'd described my interest in Angle as a 'punt'. To be more precise perhaps I should refer to it as a speculative investment since even after the huge rise in its share price, still over 100% despite a pullback, I have no intention of selling my holding in the near future.

What caused this sudden surge? Well it was the news that "the Company has achieved a major new breakthrough in the potential use of its Parsortix non-invasive cancer diagnostic product". Full story at the following link:- http://uk.advfn.com/news/UKREG/2013/article/55820539. As I mentioned in my previous blog at the end of December, if their Parsortix device is successful then its potential is huge.

My guess is that this news wouldn't have been released if any major issues with their research partners (currently testing the device) had cropped up, in fact one might assume quite the opposite. It is just guess work at this stage though, and of course there are still any number of banana skins that could potentially derail the current smooth progress. However, for the moment, the chances of success have certainly tipped in Angle's favour. Furthermore, if Angle do need to raise more cash from the markets, which is by no means a given, then the likelihood is that any placing will be at a price well above the levels I was buying the shares.

I'm not getting too excited at this early stage, but part of my investing style is about perceived value and a balance of probabilities. I can't claim on fundamentals that this was good value (see my previous blog - A new Angle), but this week I can't help feeling that the balance of probabilities has shifted in my favour. This is one to hold for the long term and watch developments. It might all end in tears yet, but conversely it could be a multi-bagger in the making. Time will tell.

It's also worth remembering that it's in everybody's interests for Parsortix to be a success, since it has the potential to save thousands of lives if it can guide treatments and provide early detection for various types of cancer. On that basis alone it would be a truly fantastic investment.

On other issues Avesco's Creative Technology have a swish new website:-

http://uk.advfn.com/news/UKREG/2013/article/55820539

Well worth a browse to see the diversity of projects they undertake globally.

As ever, no advice is intended or given.

P.S. By the way since Angle has already risen by 100% does that mean I've won the 2013 stocks to double competition on ADVFN. Perhaps traders would say yes (they've probably been and gone) and long termers would say no!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment