Friday 1 November 2013

Bid rumours and Director purchases - Angle and Regenersis

Note to self. Never try and predict what might happen with company share prices from one week to the next. One of my recent blogs entitled "Angle - next week's biggest riser?" has turned out to be a bit of a damp squib.

http://michae1mouse.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/angle-next-weeks-biggest-riser.html

Whilst I didn't attend yesterday's AGM, bulletin board posters that did attend have reported that the Directors have scotched rumours of any imminent MBO or bid approach. However, progress does appear to be on track with their Parsortix device which could hopefully propel the company into a multi-million pound market cap. in the medium to long term. Fingers crossed, excepting that this is a speculative investment.

I'll refrain from further comment on the Times bid speculation because ultimately I would be extremely pleased if Angle can successfully go it alone. Certainly it would be more lucrative for shareholders in the longer term.

However, before I leave the bid rumour topic alone completely, I'll just say this. In April this year, Verizon Wireless denied any interest in making a joint bid for Vodafone with AT&T, despite press rumours. In essence they were right to deny the rumours, but of course whilst the press didn't get it quite right, in less than a year Vodafone's stake in Verizon has been spun out of the company and back to Verizon and now AT&T are purportedly exploring a possible bid over the rest of Vodafone.

No smoke without fire? Who knows? Anyway, I'll move on. Needless to say I still hold all my shares in Angle.

I found this morning's post by paulypilot a very interesting read where he relates his experience of using too much gearing. A sobering read which is refreshingly honest.

http://www.stockopedia.com/content/small-cap-value-report-1-nov-puri-esch-78727/

As I've mentioned I never use spread bets, but if I had ever entertained the thought then Paul's article would certainly put  me off.

He also makes a good point about Director's buying and selling shares in their own companies. I wrote a blog describing my thoughts on this topic in 2011:-

http://michae1mouse.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is.html

A company where Director's have consistently been purchasing shares in recent months is Regenersis. I have looked at the company several times , but haven't bought the shares. Firstly I prefer to buy very small and micro-cap companies (although not always), but secondly I favour a balance sheet backed by tangible assets. Whilst Regenersis has £39m in net assets, there is £40m of goodwill on the balance sheet.

However, the Directors are clearly bullish and they appear to have good reason to be. From their recent report to end of June 2013, operating profit more than doubled to GBP7.1 million (2012: GBP2.1 million), and operating cash flow more than doubled to GBP9.9 million (2012: GBP4.9 million). Adjusted EPS increased by 21% to 16.80p (2012: 13.85p) and basic EPS increased by 216% to 10.53p (2012: 3.33p).

The short, medium and long term outlook statement is very bullish,

"In June 2011, we set out a strategy to target double digit rates of growth in revenue and profits for the following 2-3 years. We have achieved that. Having invested well, we now believe the opportunity exists to continue to grow annually at double digit rates of growth for the foreseeable future."

Last year the dividend was increased 127% to 2.5p (1.1p in 2012).

The historic p/e ratio (2013) is around 25 and the dividend yield about 1%.

Broker forecasts for 2014 come in at 18.37p (although this is adjusted EPS) giving a forward P/E of 14.

Overall, it's probably fairly valued at this price in my opinion, but it may be of interest for some should the share price take a dip.

As ever, no advice intended or given.

No comments:

Post a Comment