Monday 30 December 2013

Monitise, Home Retail Group and Imagination Technologies

Following on from yesterday's share tips in the Sunday Telegraph, I thought I'd now add some numbers to Monitise, Home Retail and Imagination Technologies.

Starting with Monitise, it certainly appears to be in the right place at the right time, and according to yesterday's article it's now a FTSE-250 company which provides the technology for mobile banking to 350 financial institutions worldwide. Great story, however for me there is a big "BUT" coming with this one.

The market cap. is currently a staggering £1.1billion. That's an awful lot of expectation already priced in. Now I'll freely admit that sometimes growth companies early results are deceptive, and revenues and profits can suddenly jump very significantly justifying a seemingly ludicrous share price. However, the simple mathematics are these. At a market cap of £1.1 billion and were I to give it a very generous p/e ratio of 50, then this implies profits of £22million. Currently Monitise is loss making. Net tangible assets are around 3p compared to a share price of 67.5p.

Good luck with this one if you're a shareholder, but it's not for me. By the way, if anybody compares the valuation to Twitter (or something similar) then my reply would be so what? One silly valuation doesn't justify another. In fact sometimes you do hear share prices justified by comparison, for instance share xyz is cheap compared to it's sector peers. What a nonsense that is. It could just mean that the whole sector is grossly overvalued including company xyz.

As I've said in many previous blogs, I would never short shares because they can stay on very high valuations for many years (ASOS is a good example), but unless I'm very badly mistaken I can't see any justification in the numbers for the current share price never mind any further increases this year. I'm happy to be proved wrong though.

Home Retail group is more my kind of investment, although I do feel I've missed the boat to a certain extent with this one. Nobody wanted to know this company during the dark days of the recession for a variety of reasons, not least the business model of it's Argos stores. However, as the article says it is now sensibly using it's stores as collection points for online orders.

Home retail has solid tangible asset backing at around 130p per share, and although the current dividend yield is less than 2%, they do have a track record of paying decent dividends and if retail conditions improve further dividend hikes are possible.

I'm not tempted to buy the shares at the current price, but certainly missed out when they were hovering around their lows at about 50p. Experience has taught me that if a company has solid tangible assets, and it begins to show recovery or (better still) signs of growth then the share price more often than not catches up with asset value and normally moves above it in the longer term.

Finally, Imagination Technologies has been in the doldrums this year and the share price has come back from over £5 to under £2. I'll stick my neck out here and guess that the share price will recover the ground that it has lost. I like these types of companies. Why? Although I can't justify the share price  on the metrics I have used above, gross margins are around 86% which has a massive effect on the bottom line as revenue growth really starts to kick in. It's fantastic if you can spot these success stories when they are starting out.

As ever, no advice is intended or given, and in particular I have not researched these companies in any depth, just a quick glance at the financials.

N.B. For balance I should add that Monitise also has high gross margins. Around 76% in their latest set of prelims. It depends how quickly that they can grow revenues I suppose, but £1.1 billion is still a very hefty valuation at this stage in my opinion.




No comments:

Post a Comment