Tuesday 9 April 2019

Liars, incompetence, and foolhardy choices

FFS I never saw that coming! Maybe I should have? I'll try not to be to harsh with myself, but I must show more discipline in future.

This morning's shock came in the form of a "Business Update" from 7digital. The previous CEO Simon Cole has just left the company after saying the following on 25th March, "I leave 7digital in good shape". It's now become obvious that he was referring to himself rather than the company, and has clearly been spending too much time at the gym since today's business update from the new incumbent says the following, "the Board's current view is that the business will require material further equity and/or debt funding in the next quarter without which the Company would be unable to continue as a going concern. The Board will assess financing options for the Company however, it is likely that this would entail significant dilution for shareholders."

I'm glad Simon's in good shape, and enjoyed his journey since it provides me with great comfort having today sold my entire holding for a whopping 94% loss overall. The only saving grace for me is that I wasn't suckered in by these rats when the previous share price collapse happened back in January. I have massive sympathy for those who were. In my previous two blog posts I had this to say:- 

http://michae1mouse.blogspot.com/2018/12/micro-cap-christmas-presents-or.html

"7digital (7DIG) - current sp 2.3p, market cap. £9.2m. Big promises but disappointing so far. Has had a habit of pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. Up until now it's been a big cash guzzler and diluted shareholders. Major acquisition should now be fully integrated? Cost savings will be £5m per annum? Gross margins should be 70%+ , and profitability just around the corner in a potentially exciting space. Market doesn't currently believe the promises, but if 7digital proves them wrong then expect a multi-bagger in double quick time."

Followed by:-

http://michae1mouse.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-micro-cap-update-3-months-later.html

"7digital (7DIG) have probably released more news than all of the others since December. Initially bad news including the termination of a contract with Juke a significant customer, and the non payment of a tax bill. The market was spooked and the shares plunged. However, since then they settled the tax bill and received a very healthy 4m Euro settlement from Juke, alongside announcing new contracts. The share price has recovered a little and stands at 1.18p (down 49%). Very recently there have been significant changes to the management team."

Given the newsflow, shareholders had every right to believe that, despite the January issues, the company was recovering and with a 4m Euro settlement received had enough cash for the foreseeable future at least. I can't even express how angry this makes me. At best it was financial incompetence, I'll let you surmise what it was at worst.

I don't care what happens to this company or it's share price from now on since I've been 100% wrong up until this point. However, given it's history then who in their right mind is going to stump up extra cash and/or lend them money when they've pissed so many millions up the wall already. Good riddance.

In terms of lessons learnt then I'm not going to be too harsh with myself, but I'm not best pleased either since this now ranks as my worst investment since DCD Media and there were some worrying parallels e.g. crap balance sheet stuffed with intangibles, ill advised acquisitions, management promises never fulfilled etc.

Firstly, in my defence I'd say that the company was beginning to generate very healthy revenues, gross margins were around 70% (very appealing for operational gearing), they were last man standing in Europe and profitability and cash generation was promised and appeared highly likely in 2018.

It's all "jam tomorrow" bollocks though really. At the 2018 interims, despite a healthy increase in revenues, losses were over £2.5m, net current assets were nearly minus £2m and they were still burning cash like it was going out of fashion. The fundamentals will always out in the end! I know this and must do better next time. 

I've been in this game for a long time now, and the successes are invariably those companies which have most of the following qualities:- Profits, good cash generation, a solid balance sheet, high gross margins, good management, dividend payments and Directors with "plenty of skin in the game". Small companies don't need to have all of them to pique my interest, but 7digital only boasted growing revenues and high gross margins. It's not enough.

What still amazes me after all this time is investors (including myself in this instance) chasing companies with none of the above and sometimes barely any revenues. 99% of the time it ends in disaster for such companies. 7digital being one of them. What on earth was I thinking?

Remember ignore all I say and do, but (just for myself) don't listen to bullshit by CEO's, sharetipsters, multi-handled bulletin board idiots, tweeters or any one else. It's always the fundamentals stupid with some potential for growth and a bit of luck thrown in! They might not always be multi-baggers, but some will be and the ones that aren't are unlikely to lose you 95% of your capital.

GLA, and commiserations if you own(ed) 7digital or indeed any other company that has lost significant value.


1 comment:

  1. This has popped up nicely now. What's your view on the latest excitement. Do you buy into the view they will finally make a profit soon or do you think its all hot air and misdirection?

    ReplyDelete