Wednesday 17 August 2011

All that glisters is not gold


I spotted this on the London Stock Exchange website today. I see the experts are predicting the gold price will rise to infinity and beyond: $2000/ounce by this time next year and $5000/ounce by 2020. Wonderful news, I’ll just nip down to the Westfield shopping centre and use all my spare cash in the new gold dispenser machine that they’ve recently installed. What on earth is that all about?

It’s probably just me, but I don’t really get gold and its safe haven status. Come Armageddon how much use will a stock pile of relatively useless yellow metal really be? Stuck down inside my bunker I can’t really imagine exclaiming “Thank god I bought all those gold bars before everything kicked off”, although I can imagine saying “I’m glad I stockpiled all those Bailey’s chocolates”  ;o) (see Zetar)

On a slightly more serious note, it is beginning to look like gold is entering bubble territory, although predicting when the bubble will burst is a bit of a mug’s game. However, I did read somewhere that Anthony Bolton had already sold his gold investment.

That reminds me, I wonder when I’ll get my money for the golden pin I recently sent to “webuyanygold.com”.

Whilst I’m in a slightly frivolous frame of mind, if any of you are getting fed up of all the gloom, doom and despair that’s constantly in the news at the moment, here’s my all time favourite phrase:-

Bu da geçer

No prizes for translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment