Saturday 25 May 2013

How to successfully alienate regular users...well done ADVFN!

It appears that I am unable to post website links on the ADVFN threads. From what I can gather, this isn't a temporary glitch, but a management decision to effectively ban non-subscribers from posting any links at all. Strange decision by the company if true.

I have enjoyed using their boards in the past and hopefully I've written some informative posts and added interesting links. I won't be using their boards in future though. I will continue to write my posts here and readers will be notified via my twitter account at the following link https://twitter.com/michae1mouse.

Rather than blanket banning all non-subscribers from posting links, perhaps they would have been better banning the cretins that spam the boards pumping up some worthless oil company in outer-mongolia or the dreadful idiots that are generally abusive and  unpleasant.

Actually, whilst on the subject of ADVFN, they are an excellent illustration of a wildly over-valued company. When I last looked they have a market cap. of around £25m having never made a profit and with a pitiful tangible asset backing of around £0.7m. Even if the company had been listed for just a year or two, and had a great growth story to tell,  the valuation would be stretched but ADVFN has been going for about 14 years. They don't appear to be able to make any money even during rampant bull markets.

If anybody truly believes that markets are efficient then just compare the valuations of Densitron, a company I mentioned earlier today, and ADVFN. One is profitable with a solid asset backing and pays a dividend, the other is loss making, has negligible tangible assets, doesn't and has never paid dividends. The former has a market cap. around £4m, the latter has a market cap. closer to £25m. Bizarre!

That doesn't suggest Densitron is under-valued, but let's just say I won't be rushing out to buy any shares in ADVFN.

As ever, no advice given or intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment